Yayyy, I’m so excited to announce that I have been awarded the Liebster Award! This is my first award that I have received for my blog and hopefully the first of many. Thank you so much to From Diam with Love for the nomination. Make sure to show her inspirational travel blog some love!
What is the Liebster Award?
Liebster is the German word for dearest. The award itself started back in 2011 and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The aim of the Liebster Award is to welcome and recognise the work of new bloggers.
1. What is the tastiest food you have tried during your travels?
For me, trying new food is one of the best parts of travelling. I have tried so many amazing dishes across the world, so it is really hard to narrow it down to just one, but I think it’d have to be when I had Ayam Penyet in Malaysia.
Ayam Penyet is an Indonesian dish of fried chicken which is smashed with the pestle against mortar to make it softer. The chicken was tender and very spicy, just the way I like it! It was served with sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves and a beef soup (Soto daging). It was just amazingggg!! 😍
2. Which country surprised you the most?
I visited Marrakesh this month and although my friend who had previously been warned me that it would be a big culture shock, I didn’t expect to be that surprised. I loved Marrakesh, it is a beautiful city rich with culture and amazing architecture and design, but unfortunately my friend and I did receive quite a lot of harassment from the locals. A blog post about our experience is coming soon!
When I am travelling, the app I probably use the most is maps.me. Maps.me gives you access to an offline map, making navigating a city without data so much easier.
4. What’s one food from your country that you recommend to everyone?
Jollof rice. If you don’t know, then get to know lol!
5. What are your travel goals for 2017?
My top travel goal for 2017 is to visit 25 countries before I turn 25. This month I have visited two new countries – Morocco and Portugal – leaving me with nine more countries to visit before my birthday in October.
I set myself four other travel goals for the year, check them out!
6. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
I’m not sure at the moment…
7. If you were given four tickets to any destination in the world, who would you take and where would you go?
My destination would have to be to the Maldives; I’m obsessed with that country! The three other tickets would have to go to my friends who have been the biggest supporters of my blog, y’all know who you are! Love you guys for all your support and encouragement! 💛
8. What is your most memorable trip?
I don’t think I can pick one… Each trip has been memorable in one way or another.
9. What was your favourite blog post you wrote?
My favourite post would have to be my Black Girl Travel Diaries: Kota Kinabalu post. This post was about my experience of being a black woman travelling in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. It touches on aspects such as hair touching, being asked to take a picture with strangers and how I felt about that experience.
The Black Girl Travel Diaries is intended to be a series of blog posts of my experiences in different countries. This year, I plan to get back on it and I would also like to get some guest posts about people’s experiences.
10. What inspired you to become a blogger?
It was in November 2015 that my Malaysian friend randomly asked me if I wanted to go with her to her hometown of Kota Kinabalu for Chinese New Year. She was very shocked when I responded “YES!” with not even a moment of hesitation.
By this time, I had already been bitten by the travel bug. Back then if you invited me to travel to practically any country in the world, my answer would have been without a doubt another “YES!”. Over a year later and pretty much nothing has changed, I’m still infected with this bug called wanderlust and loving every moment of it!
It was this trip to Malaysia – my first ever trip to Asia – that made me think “hmm maybe I should blog about this.” And now here we are, I can’t believe it’s been nearly a year!
My nominations are:
1. What is your top goal for your blog in 2017?
2. What is your favourite thing about blogging?
3. What would you say is your best quality?
4. What was your favourite blog post that you wrote?
5. How many countries have you visited and which one was your favourite and why?
6. What are your top three travel destinations for 2017?
7. What inspired you start blogging?
8. What was the best thing that happened to you in 2016?
9. What would be your top tip for someone considering starting a blog?
10. What’s your life motto?